KOLKATA: TMC’s Falta candidate Jahangir Khan announced Tuesday he would not contest the May 21 repoll in Bengal’s only assembly seat where EC ordered a fresh vote over electoral malpractice, coinciding with CM Suvendu Adhikari’s roadshow through the constituency and his appeal to voters to hand BJP victory by a margin of “at least 1 lakh”, report Tamaghna Banerjee & Dwaipayan Ghosh. Khan, a close aide of TMC’s Abhishek Banerjee, had been embroiled in a “Pushpa vs Singham” faceoff with UP-cadre IPS officer and Diamond Harbour election observer Ajay Pal Sharma before April 29 polling.Where is Pushpa now, asks Suvendu I want Falta to remain peaceful and prosperous… I am withdrawing myself from May 21 contest for sake of Falta’s development and benefit of its residents,” said Jahangir Khan, 41, once TMC’s key “vote organiser” in Diamond Harbour belt. Suvendu Adhikari seized on the withdrawal as proof of BJP’s upper hand in Falta. “Where is Pushpa now? He knew he wouldn’t get a polling agent… he had little option but to run,” the Bengal CM said. He claimed “drama” was staged because TMC foresaw certain defeat. Trinamool Congress distanced itself from the decision, saying Khan’s withdrawal was “his personal decision”.
Trending
- JD Vance warns US could restart military campaign if Iran talks fail
- Release time and what to expect from the finale
- The AI agent is learning workers’ rights
- Fines of Rs 2k-30k imposed for ‘wastage of judicial time’
- ‘You’ll never reach your full potential’
- Pre-sales cross Rs 21 crore; Opening day eyes Rs 35 crore
- After BJP victory, the saffron that Bengal must remember
- Lucknow University suspends assistant professor after row over audio clip
