A deadly gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 82 people, with rescue operations still under way and authorities launching a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining activities after the country’s worst mining disaster in 17 years, AFP reported.The blast took place on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, China’s main coal-producing region. State media said 247 workers were underground at the time of the explosion, while more than 120 others were hospitalised for treatment.PM Modi offers condolencesPrime Minister Narendra Modi expressed condolences over the loss of lives in the Shanxi mine blast and conveyed sympathies to Chinese President Xi Jinping and the people of China.In a post on X, PM Modi wrote, “Saddened by the loss of lives in a mining accident in Shanxi Province in China. On behalf of the people of India, my condolences to President Xi Jinping and the people of China.”“May the bereaved families find strength in this tragic hour. Praying for the early and safe recovery of all remaining missing persons”, he added.What happened at the mineA gas explosion ripped through the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province on Friday evening, killing at least 82 people.State media said 247 workers were underground when the blast occurred at around 7.29 pm local time.Authorities initially reported four deaths, but the toll rose sharply overnight as rescue teams reached more parts of the mine.Rescue operations continueState broadcaster CCTV said 123 injured workers were sent to hospital, with four reported to be in critical or serious condition.As of Saturday afternoon, 33 workers had been discharged after treatment, according to state media reports.A total of 755 emergency and medical personnel were deployed as rescue operations continued at the site.Survivor recalls blastInjured miner Wang Yong told CCTV there was a “puff of smoke” before he smelled sulphur inside the mine.He said several workers were choked by smoke before he lost consciousness during the incident.“I lay down for about an hour and woke up by myself. I called the people next to me and got out of the mine together,” Wang said.China orders crackdown, probeChinese authorities launched what state media described as an “uncompromising” investigation into the explosion and vowed to “severely” punish those found responsible.President Xi Jinping called for “all-out efforts” to treat the injured and ordered thorough investigations into the incident.State media also said authorities had ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining practices, including falsified safety data, unclear underground worker counts and illegal contracting activities.
Trending
- US pushes Mauritius down to become 2nd largest source of FDI
- UP Cong chief Ajay Rai booked for derogatory remarks against PM Modi | Lucknow News
- US state secretary Marco Rubio meets PM Modi, delivers Donald Trump’s invite to visit US in ‘near future’ | India News
- ‘Eyes wide open’: Abhishek Bachchan’s old tweet on seeing Aishwarya Rai Bachchan at 2014 Cannes red carpet goes viral again | Hindi Movie News
- Government Housing Schemes: From PMAY to DDA: Government housing schemes every homebuyer should know
- CM pushes for faster weather warning system | Lucknow News
- IPL 2026 | Shreyas keeps PBKS alive, puts the ball in RR’s courtdv vd
- Government asks Gymkhana Club to hand over premises, cites national security needs | India News
