A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city in northern China has killed at least 82 people, AFP reported on Saturday.The explosion in northern China’s led to a major rescue operation after hundreds of workers were trapped underground, according to South China Morning Post.The blast took place on Friday in Qinyuan county, around 520 km southwest of Beijing, shortly after the mine reportedly issued a carbon monoxide alert. At the time of the explosion, 247 workers were underground. Authorities have not yet clarified whether additional miners remain trapped.Chinese president Xi Jinping directed rescuers to “make every effort” to locate the missing workers and ensure the aftermath is “properly handled.” He also called for strict accountability, saying those responsible for the accident must be held to account.“All regions and departments must learn from the lessons of the accident, remain vigilant regarding workplace safety, thoroughly investigate, rectify all types of risks and hidden dangers, and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and serious accidents,” Xi said.Xi additionally warned about seasonal weather risks, noting that China is entering its rainy season and urging authorities to strengthen flood prevention measures.The warning comes days after severe rainfall in Shimen county in Hunan province left at least seven people dead and affected more than 100,000 residents. Local authorities said 14 people remain missing.Chinese premier Li Qiang echoed Xi’s remarks, ordering authorities to spare no effort in searching for the missing miners. He also demanded a swift investigation into the cause of the blast and punishment for those found responsible.Li further instructed the State Council’s workplace safety office to remind local administrations of their duty to investigate industrial accidents and “resolutely” prevent future disasters.The death toll from the blast rose sharply from 8 to 82 overnight. State broadcaster CCTV said, “Reporters at the scene of the gas explosion at the Liushenyu Coal Mine… have learnt that the accident has claimed the lives of over 82 people,” adding that rescue operations were still underway.The explosion took place around 7:30 pm local time on Friday at the coal mine in Shanxi province in northern China.The exact cause of the explosion is still under investigation.Shanxi is China’s main coal-producing province and is larger than Greece. Around 34 million people live there. Last year, miners in the province extracted about 1.3 billion tons of coal, nearly one-third of China’s total coal output.
Trending
- Inside China’s 113-metre deep undersea tunnel: How a mega rail project could rewrite high-speed travel | World News
- Up Bed Entrance Exam 2026 Admit Card: UP BEd Admit Card 2026 released at official website ahead of May 31 examination: Direct link
- Robert Pattinson: ‘The Batman: Part 2’: Robert Pattinson’s film crew checks Liverpool for upcoming action shoot with cars |
- Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan has a blunt new chip rule for engineers: You’re fired if you don’t get…
- UGC NET June 2026 registration and fee payment process closes today at ugcnet.nta.nic.in; apply here
- Aishwarya Rai ignored at Cannes? Fans slam viral post and call it ‘paid negativity’ | Hindi Movie News
- FIR filed against UP Congress chief Ajay Rai over alleged remarks against PM Narendra Modi in Mahoba | Lucknow News
- ‘Beauty alone cannot feed family’: Why Uttarakhand’s villages are falling silent | Dehradun News
