NEW DELHI: The Centre on Wednesday has enlisted the support of major social media platforms, including Meta, Google and Telegram, to crack down on rumours, fake paper leak claims and panic-inducing posts ahead of the NEET-UG re-examination, as the government steps up efforts to restore confidence in the country’s biggest medical entrance test after the recent leak controversy.Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan chaired a high-level meeting with representatives of the social media companies and separately reviewed security preparations with central intelligence and law enforcement agencies, directing a “focused crackdown” on organised misinformation networks operating online before examinations.According to education ministry officials, concerns were raised over the growing spread of fake content through Telegram channels, anonymous groups and automated bots that become highly active before major examinations. Officials said many such channels circulate fabricated paper leak claims, clickbait messages and unverified information designed to trigger panic and confusion among students and parents.“Several suspicious channels were found to be operating through a limited set of phone numbers, indicating coordinated and organised activity,” a senior ministry official said, citing inputs shared by intelligence agencies during the meeting.It is learnt that the social media platforms assured the government of proactive cooperation in identifying, blocking and removing misleading content linked to examinations, officials said. Pradhan directed the companies to work closely with the ministry, the National Testing Agency (NTA) and law enforcement agencies to ensure swift takedowns of channels spreading “fake information, propaganda and panic”.Officials said intelligence and security agencies were also asked to strengthen digital surveillance and monitor emerging online patterns in the run-up to the examination. Special attention is being given to encrypted messaging platforms and rapidly expanding groups that claim to provide advance access to examination material or “inside information” to candidates.The meetings come ahead of the NEET-UG re-examination announced after the cancellation of the May 3 exam following allegations that parts of the paper had been leaked before the test. The controversy revived concerns over examination security after earlier NEET-related disputes involving paper leak allegations, grace marks controversies and organised malpractice networks.Earlier on Tuesday’s review meeting on re-NEET preparations, Pradhan stressed that all vulnerabilities identified in the earlier examination process must be comprehensively addressed. Officials were instructed to hold coordination meetings with district magistrates and superintendents of police across states to ensure robust monitoring and strict implementation of security protocols at examination centres.The minister also directed authorities to ensure adequate student facilities, including transportation, drinking water and seamless arrangements during the re-examination.
Trending
- Mohammed Shami cleared in Rs 1 lakh cheque bounce case filed by estranged wife Hasin Jahan | Cricket News
- TG POLYCET Counselling 2026 begins from May 27, seat allotment by June 6: Check full schedule here
- How Thalapathy Vijay brought a unique charm to ‘Nanban’; Why ‘3 Idiots’ still inspires one of Tamil cinema’s best remakes |
- ‘Historic occasion’: Tamil Nadu to get Congress ministers after 59 years as two party MLAs to take oath on Thursday | India News
- AIOverview – aifeed.dev
- ‘Will work on Taiwan problem’: Trump days after meeting Xi Jinping in Beijing
- Three-language policy: Why Tamil Nadu sees an old threat in the new CBSE circular
- Cannes 2026: Where is Aishwarya Rai? After days of fan speculation, update on her much-awaited Cannes 2026 appearance finally revealed |
