KOLKATA: Bengal’s BJP govt moved Monday to stamp out religion-based aid such as honorariums for mosque functionaries and priests, with CM Suvendu Adhikari asserting that “it was not the govt’s job to distribute doles to imams, muezzins and purohits”.“Financial assistance to imams, muezzins and purohits is being discontinued. A fresh notification will be issued listing the schemes that are being discontinued,” Urban development and women and child affairs minister Agnimitra Paul said after a cabinet meeting where the decision was taken. The payments will be stopped from next month.Such stipends had been introduced by Mamata Banerjee-led TMC govt. They were being provided through the information and cultural affairs department, and minority affairs and madrassa education department.Adhikari doubled down on the decision to halt the payments. “Our job is to improve education, to give jobs to youths. We have stopped every religious dole. We will provide Vivekananda scholarship to meritorious and poor students from all communities. There will not be any appeasement politics in Bengal,” he said.BJP welcomed the move. “The Constitution does not allow discrimination among communities based on religion. Govt will work for the people of Bengal. It will neither favour Hindus nor Muslims,” BJP state president Samik Bhattacharya said.
Trending
- Anti-Naxal security camps turn ‘seva deras’ in Bastar
- Identity of the headless dismembered body of woman yet to be ascertained | Lucknow News
- On Prabhakaran death anniv, Vijay backs SL Tamils’ rights
- FIR filed against 2 Punjab cops for making dead man ‘give statement’
- Govinda’s security guard gets into altercation with fan; actor steps in to apologise
- Four held after dhaba owner killed for shooting video of street brawl | Lucknow News
- US pharma co denied patent on hepatitis C combo therapy
- ‘Illegal’ notice pasted on Abhishek’s properties
